Thursday, May 2, 2013

Bertha Mark 2

 After Bertha printed, I realized that her rigidity was sub-standard - so I dismantled her, and started adding braces.  The first to go on are these aluminum angles - preventing the triangles themselves from rotating during printing.
 I slotted some 2x3s for the base, carving out where the aluminum angle intersected.  And yes, 2x3s, not 2x4s - I dismantled a fireplace surround and it was just full of 2x3s.  It's a little bit of nostalgia baked into the machine.
 Ah yes, carbon fiber arms.  I actually had added these previously, since the shipment finally came in.  Much stiffer than basswood!
 Full bot coming together.  I spent a lot of extra time sheathing cables.  This machine looks too good to leave wires hanging about.
 The vertical panels are laminated wood shelves - very flat and stiff, but kind of heavy.  Bertha actually got her name somewhere around here, because it was becoming increasingly difficult to move her about.
Yeah, my printer's a stud.  My wife Ruby does the painting and staining for all of my projects, including Bertha.  I asked her to paint this stud half blue and half red - thinking of course to make the whole printer have a red half and a blue half.  Instead, the back and bottom sides of this board are red.. which is OK I guess.
 Mounted the bowden.  Here I've switched from 3mm filament to 1.75mm, and am using Airtripper's bowden.  Not a bad setup.

 Noodle!  Electronics mounted inside as well, keeping everything easy access whilst I'm playing with it.  Also notice the red strap - that's what's holding on my janky computer power supply.
 First print!  I think.  Still using my astonishingly uninspired bed.  This is the first iteration of the printer that built big things - large klein bottle, giant skull with an owl, my first attempts at wind turbines.  It's a bit rough with the poorly designed bed, but functional enough.  It had sat idle for a couple of weeks, so I wanted to get some functionality back - this thing's too big to just sit in the corner and mock me.  So yes, enjoy some videos!


Another reason it sat so long is because I was building my print cave... you may notice that the floor is different, and that there are walls - it's still in the basement, but in a nicely insulated room.  Having a posh workspace is pretty key.

No comments:

Post a Comment