Friday, May 3, 2013

More Mark 2 photos/vids


Just a couple more pictures of the Mark 2 Bertha, and a big point:


A RepRap isn't a printer until it's reliable.  One of the first things I do with a new printer design is queue up a ridiculously long print - a torture test, to see which component is the weakest.  What will break first.  So even before I had the bed sorted out, I printed a giant Klein bottle.  It's about 15" tall, and it took two days on this machine.


 

Of course, you can't always print giant things for tests.  My usual test object is this frog:


It's small, complicated, stresses retraction, overhangs (under the chin) and overheating the top (eyeballs are their own layer).  If you can print a frog nicely, you can print most things.  Plus, whenever I show off the machine I can give something away.

And finally, a video.  My wife likes skulls and owls, so, I printed her a small owl on a larger-than-life skull.

No comments:

Post a Comment